Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Subway Slugga (cont.)

My last post ended abruptly. I must apologize.

I had a flashback just being all worked up from that email I got... and I started thinking about the underground tunnels over there.

I am very sorry for ending my post like that. You see as I was writing, I felt myself get light headed and started to black out... i just hit "post" on the blog. I knew I was going to have a backflash.

If you've never had them they are hardcore crazy. It's basically like feeling your stomach drop 10 feet below you. You feel light headed and your vision becomes dark like you're looking down a tunnel. then you start hearing things...

Like I heard the whistle of Staff Sargeant Greig, then an explosion. It was my old memories catchign up to me. The rat-a-tat of machine gun fire. The smell of smoke. The soft drop of grenades. I could hear my buddies yelling for me...

When I came to, I was in the bathroom of my neighbor's RV... Except I realized he doesn't have a bathroom in there... I totally ruined his closet. He said I was shouting, "God damn Cloverfield!" then I started talking in Vietcong.

Like I was two people or something. He said I'd jabber in VC then start screaming in English, "Help, they've got me!"

He said I finally passed out, after evacuating my bowels in his closet in his RV.

I took a damn shower and decided to write again on this topic.

Well Mr. Cloverfield77... you said some pretty mean things to an old Vet. You pushed me into a backflash and now I'm here to finish where I started:

The story I was going to tell you will chill your bones... that is, if you have any soul.

It was in the summer of '68. I was in my 3rd week in 'Nam, when they told me about a secret mission... Mission "Subway Slugger." I had a good 'kill ratio' - so good they called me the 'Slugger' (because I was also a semi-pro ball player)...

Subway referred to the underground tunnels.

To those that don't know, the VC (VietCongo) built elaborate underground cities that were connected by enormous tunnels. These tunnels were carved out of soil, and where at least 15' in Diameter. You could drive a truck down there, no problem.

The VC themselves were actually tiny people. Not much bigger then a house cat, standing on his legs. I'd guess maybe 4' tall... and those were the tall ones. Some VC were 3' tall. Tiny little things.

They dug their tunnels big, i guess to compensate for their height. Now we took our time going into these tunnels... you see... we bomb the hell out of that land, and they'd just go into the earth. You'd see them with their long grey bears, scurrying into the jungle with their fat legs, and short bodies. Then "poof" they're gone. Like magic.

Like Freak'n Magic.

Try and think about that Cloverfield77! Yeah. how'd you like to face an enemy like that?

Two of my buddies got shot with poison darts, from tiny VC hiding in the trees. They died a painful death... screaming their last goodbyes to their moma's who couldn't hear em.

It's sad. I went down those tunnels in a rage one day. I was so gd mad. I killed 500 hundred of them little mf'ers. I used round after round. I even shot my own men a couple times in my rage (only hit their legs.) I walked these dark subways under the earth... in total darkness. I could hear their little breathing... like a dog panting.

I'd shot.

They'd scream.

After awhile I ran out of bullets... in my M60. That's when I switched to my shovel.

They breathe.

I swing

They cry.

I chop off their little VC heads.

They breathe. I swing

I did that all night.

I followed one tunnel to a city underground... it was called... Mordisgal. It was made out gold. I sh** you not. A golden city, under the ground. It was so big I realized I couldn't shovel all 10,000 of em, so I pulled the gold ol' napalm bag out. We had our own napalm put into IV bags. We called it a "Warm Welcome Waggon" or "WWW" for short. You light the plastic line of the IV and throw it... throw it fast.

BAM!

Napalm on their faces!

Their little faces... their long beards... all up in flames!

OH YEAH.

HELL YEAH.

They tried their darts on me. But I was too powerful for them. I towered over their quivering masses, as their VC leaders pleaded with me to let them surrender. Their voices were like the voices of that damn cartoon... Smurfs. Little tiny... LITTLE TINY VOICES.

I can hear them now....

I think I hear them in the kitchen....

brb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
That is quite a story about the VietCong. My father served in vietnam war under General Max Taylor. He knows everything about the VietCong and their attack doctrine.

You don't know anything about the Vietnam war or the vietnamese people. My mom is vietnamese and my dad is a red blooded american. She is not 4 feet tall. She is 5'4" tall. I take pride in learning about the Vietnam War as it serves as a great reminder for our Iraq War.

You ignorant fool, you don't even know Jack!